Transitions, Ink

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Wayward Blogger, Miscellaneous

I know from my own blog-reading preference that a blog with a focus is more attractive than one without. For example, the latest blog I'm really enjoying is Zen Habits. Why do I like it? First of all, it's pleasant to look at. Simple and easy to navigate. Second, I really like the whole zen idea because I crave simplicity in my life. So that's an attractive world view to me. Third, I pick up stuff I find useful there. For example, there is a set of strategies for emptying the inbox. As someone with an inbox that has about 1500 messages in it right now (at least I don't have a backlog of unread e-mail), while at the same time having a strong preference for an empty inbox, that gives me a possibility and a strategy for getting there. I like that, too. It's also a blog where there are links between articles. Because it has a unifying theme, when there is a post that relates to an earlier post, he points that out and provides a link.

Anyway, my own blog is a mish mash that even people who know and like me can't, I'm imagining, find particularly compelling as a 'read'. It doesn't even excite me! So I think that's one of the reasons I've taken to blogging infrequently. That and the frenetic chaos that is my daily life!

More miscellany: I got comments back from my advisor and they were positive, despite my sending her a package that fell short in volume and quality. At least I'm getting there. She's very encouraging and thought well of the revisions. They were substantial and I'm still at it.

The "barely there shawl" (note to RB: the colour is Brick) is coming along nicely. I'm doing research for an article I'm writing about knitting and the research requires (requires, I say!) me to knit at meetings and presentations and so on at work.

We're crawling through Season Six of 24, which we have on DVD. I'm squirming more than usual. Must be getting soft.

Weekend plans: lots of writing. Dinner out with friends tonight. Two movies (it's a long weekend here -- new holiday, "Family Day," because the government decided we needed a long weekend in February to fend off depression, suicide, etc.): The Kite Runner tomorrow night and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly on Monday afternoon. Some exercise: at least 30 minutes of something every day. Measured use of "scrabulous," which has made its way to the top of the "fun ways to procrastinate" list.

3 comments:

Writer Bug said...

LOl. I love this post! I am currently away--I'll post about that soon--and discovered a wayward wireless signal and decided to hop over to your blog before the signal died. So clealry I find your blog compelling enough to want to check in in my few moments of Internet connection! But I do love the idea of a focused blog, and I'll have to check out that Zen one. I'm glad your writing is coming along and that you get to relax. And I love Canada for creating an antidepression day off in Feb. We have Pres. Day on Monday, but I do wish our gov't would create a day off for March. There are no holidays between President's day and Memorial Day in the end of May, and that's just too long to go without a three day weekend! OK, off to make a scrabbulous move...

Repeater said...

I think your blog is pretty focused- either writing or knitting most of the time. And I'm under the impression (probably falsly) that we'll all have more time to spice them up (or even get to them at all) once we graduate. I'm glad you're taking the time now to even cotemplate what you'd like to do with in and outside of your blog. Simplicity's a great goal.
How was kite runner? Loved the book but heard the movie fell short. True?

TI said...

You're both so nice. Kite Runner was really excellent. I didn't finish the book (not because I thought it was bad but I just chose a bad time -- when we had annotations and lots of other reading).