Transitions, Ink

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Learning to Love What I Do

Even though I consider myself in transition, I like my current position, even have goals that I wish to meet before I move on. Two years ago I wouldn’t have said this. But then someone pointed me in the direction of a tiny chapter in a book called Zen and the Art of Making a Living by Laurence G. Boldt. The Chapter is entitled “Loving What You Do (‘Til You Are Doing What You Love)”. A couple of years ago, I had quit-fantasies several times a week. Work was agony. Just seeing the title of this little chapter sent me spinning. I didn’t want to read it for fear that I might actually start liking what I do for a living. If I start to like what I do, then I might never make a change. If I start to love it, well, what kind of trap was this guy setting at the end of 600 pages of exciting possibility? The very idea of loving my current employment appalled me. I could not even contemplate doing it until my retirement date (2030!). Inconceivable. Unthinkable. Unacceptable.
“Forget it,” I said. “I will not love my work. I want to write!”
“Just read the chapter,” my friend said.

Here’s what Boldt says: “You will have far more success if you view your new work as something you are working toward, than if you view your old work as something to get away from.” His main idea is that frustration with a career is itself draining. It’s true. A lot of people complain in my (any?) workplace. I don’t enjoy being around those people unless I chime in with my own grievances. And then participating in the ever-expanding list of woes makes me feel doubly put upon and burdened. Boldt says to take that energy-sapping frustration and channel it into “making the greatest contribution you can through your current work.”

He recommends stepping back and seeing what does work in your work. What’s the value in it? How can you make a contribution? This was a useful exercise. First of all, lots of people would say that being a philosophy professor at a research-intensive (read: light teaching load) institution is an enviable gig. When I was an undergraduate, I sure thought this. All those people who keep asking me what I am going to do with my “summer off” sure think this. The friends who like to ask “how many hours a week do you teach?” look positively green when I say “six” or, as it happens this coming semester, “three.” I reflected upon the aspects of the career that I do enjoy and that have value. Contact with the students, for example. I can really make a difference there if I value what I am doing instead of treating it as a burden. Research. I want to be a writer for goodness sake, and writing is a job requirement, a full 40% of what I am paid to do. As I made progress, the little whining voice sometimes jumped in: “Yes, but I want to be a creative writer. Scholarly writing is b-o-r-i-n-g.” Nevertheless, I definitely made headway.

Slowly, slowly, my interest in my work has been re-kindled. I am not dreading September this year. I’m looking forward to my teaching. I have a new research project on the go that excites me. And I am pushing ahead with my MFA in Creative Writing, which I consider to be re-training of the most enjoyable kind. That desperate need to get out of my career has subsided, even though I remain clear in my mind that I will be moving on to other things within the next five to ten years. Boldt is right: “loving what you do will give you the confidence you need to do what you love.”

13 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

TI--This is great. Consider submitting this to "The Writer" (they have a column called "Off the Cuff"...you'll find the submission guidelines on their website) or Writer's Digest (again, sub guidelines on the website).

I struggle with this, too. I get SO impatient, and I often feel that the business writing and teaching are keeping me away from "my destiny" (ha, ha--what BS, huh?). It's easy to let that resentment roost and lay eggs and multiply.

Your essay is giving me another way to look at it--a helpful way. I shall add this book to my list.

Thanks for sharing.

Peace,
FC

TI said...

Thanks, FC. I love how you think in terms of publication. The development of this mindset will definitely be a goal of mine in this transition. I'll think about sending it out to one of the two venues you mentioned.

I'm glad that it helped you think of things a bit differently.

Take care. TI

Idiot Cook said...

Yes--this drives my advisor nuts. But I've published in Writer's Digest twice, so it can be done without an MFA...I think developing craft and writing every day is important. But from the sounds of it (you, Bug, me, etc), many of us want to make a living or partial living from writing. So that means sending stuff out. I don't think we should send out stuff that's not ready (i.e. my memoir--if I ever finish it--is so far away from the query stage, and that's okay). But I'm always working on shorter essays, feature pitches, and even short stories that I send out.

So go for it...allow your mind to think that way! :)

Peace,
FC

TI said...

FC, would you send a query for "off the cuff" or just send the piece (considering its short length)? Thanks. TI

Writer Bug said...

I love this post! I read that book a long time ago, and should get back to it. I have been dreading work this week because a) it's very slow, and b) I'm antsy to get on vacation. But really, I have a really good gig right now in that I get paid to write (even if it isn't the kind I want to do), my boss is super flexible, I can get some creative writing done in my down time, and my colleagues are smart and interesting. But still, it's easy for me to get caught up in seeing this as something I'm working to get away from. Thanks for the reminder!

And FC, you are a querying inspiration!

TI said...

Bug, my writing's going slowly this week too. The piece just won't "take off" and that worries me. But I am at it again today. We're fortunate in that we are working and able to do the MFA at the same time.

Idiot Cook said...

I believe for "Off the Cuff" that they *may* want to see the full essay, but check the guidelines.

In Writer's Digest, I published two pieces in their front-of-the-book section, which is called "InkWell." Most items don't run beyond 500 words, and they do want to see the "final" piece rather than a query (and that's what I did--I sent the final pieces both times with a simple cover letter).

And there may be other markets that this piece is suitable for...any market that likes "inspirational" writing would be a good choice. Look on Writer's Market (http://www.writersmarket.com) for some pubs (you have to be a member, but it's under $30 US dollars a year...) You can search "essays" and "inspirational" and see what comes up...Writer's Market includes some Canadien markets as well.

Hope this helps! :)

TI said...

Hey FC, congrats on your publishing success and thanks for the info. I have sent it off with a simple explanatory cover letter to The Writer, for Off the Cuff. They like email queries and submissions. I attached the piece. They have a four month turnaround on Off the Cuff though! That's a long wait but it's a start.

Idiot Cook said...

The waiting is normal, trust me on that...I try to have five-six things "out there" at any given time. The minute you get a rejection, you gotta send it out again. It's painful. I've been thinking about blogging about that (got two rejections this week), so maybe I will.

Fingers and toes crossed for you! :)

TI said...

That's funny because I was also thinking of blogging about rejection this week, having received a rejection of a philosophy manuscript this morning. My academic career publishing requirements have prepared me well for rejection. Still stings, of course, but I move on fairly quickly from it now.

Writer Bug said...

FC, you really are an inspiration! Part of me tells myself that time spent on querying and/or writing things specifically to send out is time taken away from my creative writing. But you're inspiring me to think about it differently and to appreciate the importance of having stuff out there. I'll check out those writing pubs you mentioned, since writing about writing would be helpful in any case!

And TI and FC, I'd love to see your posts about rejection!

Idiot Cook said...

Bug, no one says you can't send out a short story you're really proud of just because you don't have an MFA or just because you haven't gotten the seal of approval from an advisor-like person.

Based on what I've seen of your writing, I wouldn't be surprised if you have something that you could place right now...and you won't know unless you send it out. Worst case? You get rejected, decide to rework it, or use it as a workshop piece for school.

Plenty of great writers publish without any official credentials at all.

So, yes, send stuff out...in fact...I found a great resource for fiction (as you know I moonlight in fiction, so I've been sending out some of my short stories...and the goal is to have the rewrites of the novel done by next Feb and querying in March...we shall see). This link includes info for beginners (i.e. "not published" fiction writers), intermediates, advanced, etc).

Here's the link

Idiot Cook said...

Can y'all tell I'm procrastinating? ;)

Case in point re: the stuff above--a woman in my writer's group just sold a personal essay to "Home Forum" in The Christian Science Monitor. (google it and you'll see the sub guidelines for freelancers)

We workshopped her essay in our group, and it was very, very good--it's about her college daughter's first apartment and how mom had to sign the lease.

And she's getting paid...

So keep submitting...there's a HUGE market for short 500-1000 word pieces.

(Note--the essay was originally rejected by another pub)