Transitions, Ink

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Until Deadlines Do Us Part

I love my husband a lot, and I love his company. But when I have a deadline…look out. Would you please get out of my way? What? You want to spend some time with me this weekend? Go on a date Friday? Don’t you know that I have a deadline coming up?

[Yeah sure, like he doesn’t know … I’ve only reminded him every day for the past ten or so not to count on me, especially this weekend]

He did a good thing this week: he took a holiday without me. This is good for at least two reasons. One, said deadline, of course. Two, he went to visit family. Need I say more. I’ve had all this time to work on my writing uninterrupted. All kinds of time…Every waking hour that I’ve not been teaching, sleeping, eating, doing e-mail, blogging, doing yoga, talking on the phone, attending meetings, or reading (well, I had to do some reading for my submission) I have dedicated to writing. I have also had some excellent sleeps this week.

My DH is returning on Friday. The deadline is Monday (psst: my secret personal deadline is actually Saturday. But the last time I shared with him that I had a personal deadline, he became Mr. Enforcer. As it approached, he said, you better be done by Friday. You said you would be done by Friday. I’m counting on you to stick to your word… I didn’t actually give him my word. Anyway, I am a reasonably quick study, so this time I didn’t mention the Saturday deadline). I will do my best to be happy to see him when he comes home on Friday, even though I would rather (in the sense of “rather” that is responding to the facts as I see them, not to what could be if I had planned a bit better and the new writing had come more easily this month) be left alone for just one more day. Not that I don’t miss him, of course.

7 comments:

Tammy Brierly said...

Good luck on that deadline :) Poor hubby needs a little TLC. LOL

Idiot Cook said...

You rock, TI. And you write well, too. Keep at it...all this hard work will pay off.

My deadline has been pushed to 10/17 (E didn't give me feedback until last week), so I'm outta sync with you, Bug, Repeater, and the other MFAers...but I feel the anxiety y'all are experiencing.

What DH needs to realize is that the better you feel about what you've accomplished writing-wise the more fun you and he will have together when he comes home. I wrote something about this issue some time ago--I might have to post it on my ol' blog one of these days since no one wants to publish it. :)

Peace,
FC

Writer Bug said...

FC, I'd love to see that piece!

TI, I feel your pain. Bug has asked me a few times this week if I'm mad at him. I feel so bad. But between work being psycho, my going away this weekend, the deadline, and some friends in need, I am spent. And unfortunately, it's Bug who bears the brunt of that! I'm planning some fun stuff for next weekend though--like the carrot on the stick for him. Maybe that would help? Good luck with your work. Email me if you need another pair of eyes on anything!

TI said...

Thanks, FC. I would also like to see that piece. Please post it. And you're right that I'll be more fun when it's done (didn't Dorothy Parker say something about liking "having written"?). And Bug,R is pretty good generally and yes, I do plan to have some fun with him. Thanks for offering to read stuff. Good luck with your deadline. Sounds as if you've had a tough week.

Writer Bug said...

PS--I love your headline for this post. Clever!

Repeater said...

Oh, yes, the husbands do suffer for our art. Luckily, mine's a writer too and always understands the pangs. I think he might be worse than me in that department, he just has no deadlines!
When he suffers most is when I go to work. That's when I get Bitchy!!
FC- looks like you'll have to repost for us.

sophie said...

of course you miss him:)

solitude is lovely though...