Transitions, Ink

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Artist's Way

Writer Bug has just started doing Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way. I loved it when I first discovered it about four years ago. I had so starved myself creatively in the preceding years that I did every single task for each of the twelve weeks of the course. It was a liberating experience that was the first step in getting me to where I am today, taking myself more seriously as a writer. The two main tools that Cameron provides are the morning pages and the artist’s date.

Morning pages are three longhand pages, to be written daily, first thing in the morning. They don’t have to make sense, can be on anything, and are for my eyes only. I love the feeling of sitting down to write pages every morning, usually with my favourite fountain pen or one of my little dipping pens, and in my favourite notebook (I’ve got an ample supply of these and will be quite lost if they get discontinued). When I’m done, I give myself a little sticker at the end of the last page. This month it’s Winnie-the-Pooh. It may be a small thing, but I always liked getting stickers, and since no one else is giving them to me these days, I give myself one every day.

The artist’s date is a little excursion with yourself and no one else. This is an opportunity to replenish the creative well. Cameron suggests a weekly date with yourself for at least one hour. I’ve come to realize that I am quick to dispense with the artist’s date, even though it is a mere hour. Some weeks, when I am very busy, it seems impossible. But those are the weeks I need it more than ever. Artist’s dates don’t have to be elaborate. Cameron suggests going to a museum or a gallery. I like to go to a café with my notebook, order a decaf latte, and do some writing. Or browse at a bookstore or a yarn shop. Or go for a walk, especially now that it the trees are starting to display their fall colours (Photo credit: Michael Yamshita, National Geographic). Last year, when my schedule was a bit freer, I took elaborate artist’s dates that included two hours on the train each direction (excellent knitting opportunity), a trip to an amazing yarn store, and an afternoon at the ballet. I’ve also planned weekends on my own at a retreat centre on the lake. Spending a couple of days in silence is incredibly restorative. This weekend I’m doing a mini-retreat, one day of silence at a local retreat centre. They provide my meals and a comfortable space to roam, including beautiful grounds and cozy lounge areas. Those are exceptional. Sometimes, for me, an artist’s date can be a trip to the grocery store. Anyplace that I can wander, on my own, without anyone trying to get my attention counts.

I know I'm neither the first nor the last to recommend Cameron's tools. But I can testify that they have worked for me, and I am extremely thankful to have stumbled upon The Artist's Way. Have fun with it, Bug!

5 comments:

Writer Bug said...

This was great to read! Just thinking about a train ride and a fun day alone made me happy. And made me realize that I need to plan just that kind of date. Hopefully I can find the time soon, though I'll be traveling a bit for fun and work for the next 2 months, so we'll see. I definitely will do a smaller date next week. Maybe to the yarn store. :)

Repeater said...

ti- I love how you always focus on the act and development of writing on your blog- I'm all over the darn map, crying and bitching, ranting and raving. Good to see your dedication to the art. (you too bug!)

TI said...

Thanks, Bug and Repeater. Bug, train rides are great! Repeater, I'm glad that I appear dedicated to the art rather than the alternative, which is that I simply lack the imagination to post on any other topics!

Idiot Cook said...

You and Bug are such inspirations...rock and write on!

Bibi said...

Well forget my previous Q about Artist's Way. I just saw this post. I loved this book...and take it on my retreat every year just to remind myself of my key points.