Transitions, Ink

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Discovering What Everyone Probably Already Knows

Dave Sedaris is hilarious! Among the cds I got from the library before my drive on Friday was "Dave Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall." It's a taped "show" and get this, his show consists of reading his essays about his family aloud. And they're good. And funny. Like, I've been driving around today and wanting the light to turn red so I can be in the car longer because I was laughing so hard. Laughing out loud. In the car. Alone. I don't do that much. I brought it in the house and listened to it while I ate dinner (R is out of town, so I was eating alone).

So don't tell me: you know all about Dave Sedaris. You already knew how funny he is. You've been reading him for ages. Only someone who has been living in cave could not have read him before.

Yes, but have you heard the cd?

4 comments:

Writer Bug said...

LOL. You crack me up. One of the things I will contribute to the writer's retreat at the lake is my box set of him reading his various books. (They're on tape though, so there has to be an oldish stereo at the house!) I saw him read once at Symphony Hall here and he's spectacular in person, too. His tickets are pretty expensive, usually in the $50-75 range, but worth it! Glad you're laughing!

Idiot Cook said...

I'm a huge Sedaris fan. Read The SantaLand Diaries. Also, Barrel Fever is good because it's a combo of essays and short stories when Sedaris wasn't sure what he wanted to write. Get this: he doesn't have e-mail or a cell phone. He broke down in 2001 and got a computer only because after 9/11 it was too difficult to travel with his typewriter. When he needs to send a file to his editor, his boyfriend Hugh has to do it for him. When we get closer to residency, remind me to make a copy of a fabulous Sedaris interview that was in the Spring issue of The Missouri Review.

I haven't heard the tapes, but I have heard they're hysterical. His sister, Amy, is supposed to be quite funny...she's on NPR a bit, I think.

Enjoy!

TI said...

Oh yes, I'd love to hear the tapes -- both the interview and the ones from the show.

Repeater said...

Well, don't feel too bad ti- I've never read or heard him either. I had heard he was great, but we don't have time to read everything we'd like to (barely any at this point). I'll be trying to squeeze in his tapes. Thanks!