Transitions, Ink

Monday, September 24, 2007

Happy Birch-Day and Birthday to Me

I said that I wanted to finish the birch shawl by my birthday. Well, today is my birthday and I finished the shawl on Thursday, blocked it on Saturday, wore it on Saturday night, and showed it off to all who would look at it from that moment on.

I am so proud of it, so amazed the I knit this with my own two hands. It is by far the most satisfying and most beautiful knitting project I've ever completed. And although it was a rough start, once I got rolling with it I had so much fun that I've actually purchased some yarn for another one. I don't know when I'll cast on -- there are a few un-finished items in the line-up and a sane response to the cue would be not to let anything jump ahead. Not to mention that my mother gave me yarn and a pattern for something quite astonishing:


In this yarn, this colour:
So I'll admire my birch while I think about other knits. One thing I can say for sure is that lace knitting is my favourite kind. It's got to be the counting -- nothing else can intrude and that's as calming as can be. I leave you with a couple of views of birch #1 in its various venues.

And a happy birthday to Tammy, The Daily Warrior, too.



5 comments:

Writer Bug said...

OMG! I am so impressed! It is BEAUTIFUL! You're making me anxious to cast mine on (again) though I want to get through some Christmas knitting projects first and start birch in the New Year. And then I might borrow that other patter! That is exactly the garment I need to add to my wardrobe! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

TI said...

Thanks, Bug. Knew you'd appreciate it! And I know you can do it. You'll enjoy it once you get rolling, I promise. It is a VERY satisfying knit.

Repeater said...

Happy Happy Happy Birthday to you, ti. That is a gorgeous shawl. You'll have to bring the finished product in Jan. (though it might be too cold to wear). Maybe you can finish that sweater by then? It looks really cool- right up my alley. Have a fabulous day. I'm thinking of you all right now as I'm curled up on the couch weeping-- no big deal, just another writer crisis. You know, the down side of the curve.

Tammy Brierly said...

It's gorgeous Tracy!

XXOO
Your twin

Idiot Cook said...

Congrats on the shawl--it's beautiful. And HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! :)