Transitions, Ink

Friday, September 01, 2006

I must have tea

Tea is essential to my writing process. If I don't have a cup of tea, then I cannot write. There is no point in even trying. Which kind of tea depends on my mood. Most days, vanilla rooibos tea or masala rooibos chai with vanilla soy milk is the first cup that I take to my desk with me in the morning. It is sweet and soothing, and most important, it does not interfere with my natural morning energy the way caffeine does. A big mug of masala rooibos chai with vanilla soy milk eases me into the day like nothing else. If I am slow to start, then I turn to orange pekoe with milk for that little extra kick. Some days, I don't want the kick but I want that black tea flavour. That's when I like a good decaffeinated English Breakfast tea.

When I was growing up, tea was a staple in our household. We started the day with it and used it to puncuate the flow of time. Tea after meals, tea with cake in the afternoon, tea when a visitor came, tea if a baby was born, tea if someone died, tea, tea, tea. And so it makes perfect sense to me that I am uncomfortable if I cannot get my hands on a cup of tea.

There are different opinions about how to make a good cup of tea. I'm only going by my personal experience based on 40+ years of drinking tea. First of all, it is absolutely required that you use a teapot. Swishing the bag around in a cup is not conducive to an enjoyable tea experience. Do that only if there is no other option, as may be the case on the train or if you are picking up your tea to-go. There is no reason to do this at home. Loose tea is better than tea bags, but some tea bags will do, and of course they are convenient. If you use loose tea, throw one teaspoon per cup, preferably into an infuser, and use a strainer when you pour it. Warm your teapot first, being sure to dump out the water you use to heat the pot. Use only fresh water, not water that has been previously boiled. If there is water still in your kettle from the day before, give it to the plants. Bring your water to a gentle boil and then pour it directly onto the bag or leaves (putting the teabag/leaves into the water is the wrong way around) . Tea needs to steep for 2-5 minutes, depending on your taste. There are those who will tell you that there is a fixed time for steeping. That is ridiculous. You want to enjoy your tea, so make it the way you like it. Personally, once my tea is steeped to my liking, I remove the leaves (this requires an infuser) or bag. This way, I can enjoy a second cup, which I usually do. Some say that tea tastes the best when it is served in a china cup. There is something wonderful and luxurious about drinking tea out of a china cup, but I am not sure that it is required. Large ceramic mugs have the size advantage going for them.

This picture here shows my favourite coaster, which says, "while there is tea, there is hope." I've set it on top of a painting called "Journey" by Eillie Jean from Coquitlam, British Columbia. The coaster speaks for itself. If you are having trouble writing, make yourself a pot of tea, steep it to your liking, pour it into your favourite cup, and try again.

3 comments:

Writer Bug said...

wow! I had no idea how many "rules" there are for tea. I'll have to try your method and see if I notice a difference. I do love me some tea! I've been addicted to Bigelow's vanilla chai since I had it at Lesley. I'm thinking about going off caffeine--if I manage to, I'll try that decaf chai you mention.

TI said...

There is a lot of good decaf tea available.

Idiot Cook said...

I agree with Bug--I'm gonna try your tea-making method...I've often heard that making tea is an art, but never knew exactly what that art was.

And give up caffeine???? Eh gad. Bite your tongue, Bug! :)