Transitions, Ink

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Facebook

It was only a matter of time. Everyone at my university is doing the Facebook thing. You know, you think you're on top of technology with the blog, with e-mail, with the mp3... It began back in January when my students started talking about Facebook. It came up from time to time but I thought, well, that's what the kids are doing now (like text messaging and msn and all that stuff that I know I'll never make time for). But then we had a big "issue" on campus, and suddenly the Facebook groups were where the activism was happening (in large part). Anyway, I have set myself up on Facebook. But since my blog is private from my workplace, I can't post my Facebook information here.

Personally, I think that Facebook would be a fun thing for the MFA-ers to go to. We could even set up a group. You can write on people's wall (like blog commenting), send them gifts, and "poke" them (I haven't done this yet because I don't know what it is and I don't want to do anything rude by mistake). I have hesitated to send out an invitation to join because I know that we are all way too busy (myself included, but I appear to have discovered yet another trigger for me addictive personality). The reason I think it would be good is that it is even more oriented to community building than blogging.

If you think you might be interested, let me know and I'll send you an invitation to sign up and be my "friend". Or you can just go here: http://www.facebook.com/. If you're already registered, so much the better. Seek me out! I don't have very many friends at the moment. :(

4 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

I signed up for FaceBook two years ago when I first started teaching at the 'Hill. I haven't been to it since...I'll check it out once this freakin' submission is OVER.

Tammy Brierly said...

I can't keep up with technology but you know I have to check it out. You got me with "community builder." ;)

BTW, love your lavender flowers.

HUGS
Your twin

Writer Bug said...

I cracked up at your "poke" line. Too funny. I too will check out face book post-submission. I have a myspace page, and I thought I was a little on the old side for that. facebook might just make me feel ancient! I really haven't adapted to thinking of myself as an adult yet. I think in my head I'm stuck somewhere around 20, so when I see kids who are 10 years younger than me, I'm like, what???

TI said...

FC, yes, please do get back at it when you're done with the sub.

Glad you like the flowers, Tammy. And yes, I think you would enjoy the community building aspect of facebook. it's great for people who are at their computers all day.

Bug, if you stick with people like me who are 15 years older than you, you won't feel so old on facebook. anyway, just because the kids are onto it more than anyone else, doesn't mean the older crowd can't harnass its potential!