Transitions, Ink

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

First Flowers

The first flowers in the garden have started to bloom just this week. It's so amazing how they just sneak up on us. One day, it's miserable and cold and no end seems to be in sight. Then, suddenly, when you're not even watching, new shoots start to spurt and then...purple flowers.

Wouldn't it be great if writing were like that, where you could just leave it for a few days and then, when you came back to it, it would be fuller and more colourful and textured than it was when you last checked?

My fourth submission is challenging because it is not behaving as cooperatively as my untended garden. I have neglected it and now I want to start nurturing it again, early in the mornings, quietly, before the demands of the day try to divert me away from what really matters. A different kind of patience is required.

1 comment:

Writer Bug said...

Beautiful flowers! I do think writing is like gardening in some ways. Like the fact that something you don't remember planting will pop up and change the look of the whole thing. Or sometimes no matter how much water and sun you give something, it just won't work.