Transitions, Ink

Monday, April 09, 2007

Light as a Feather

Ah, that feeling of clearing a major task off the desk! Add to that the sudden lightening of my workload at the day-job for the next few months, and well, I feel as if the lightness of my present being could just carry me away like a feather on a soft breeze.

I don't even know what to do. I feel as if nothing is a good choice right now, even though technically there is not nothing to do. I had some space open up for me this week in a wonderfully welcome way, so I am taking a little overnight trip to Toronto tomorrow just for fun. The documentary work, for which I had set aside Tuesday and Wednesday, got postponed. I almost cancelled the trip, almost starting filling in the days with other commitments, and then I said "STOP!" I changed my ticket so that I could make it to yoga at 6:30 tomorrow morning and have a nap afterwards if I should choose to do so. I am getting on the train with nothing but a book and my birch shawl (which is coming along quite nicely now that I understand the pattern; it is also light as a feather).

I need to give a special shout out to my sister MFA-ers, congratulations on mailing Sub. Three! Only one more to go this semester. I am so grateful to have you women to lean on.

If anyone knows how to carry this lightness into the daily grind, rather than have it reserved only for those fleeting moments immediately after meeting a deadline, please share your insights!

3 comments:

Repeater said...

Oh, it sounds fabulous. I love taking train trips & I love Toronto. Good for you for not filling in that schedule. Have a great trip! (No suggestions about the daily grind, sorry!)

Writer Bug said...

I'm fighting the urger to throw my computer because well, I am feeling HEAVY, anti-light if you will. and reading your post reinforced that since it reminded me that I have felt light like that before, and don't know. But enough about me, me, me! Enjoy your trip, your yoga, your knitting. Hopefully picturing you enjoying those light things will help me lighten up. Have fun!!

madelyn said...

little moments to lace together the grind moments -
a lovely chai...read a quick poem...
gaze out the windown and snap a photo -

have a little wonderful snack in a drawer -

:)