Transitions, Ink

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Revising with a New Narrator

I'm back from a short trip where I had the great pleasure of meeting up with Writerbug and RB for dinner at an oo-la-la French bistro (good pick, Bug!). Now, it's time to hit the keyboard. I had a long layover at the airport yesterday, long enough to find an ac outlet, plug in the laptop, and try a whole new approach to the pieces I'm revising. I've got three separate but linked pieces and I'm going to try to unify them into one long story. Last semester, I wrote something else in which I landed on a narrative voice that I feel good about. I'm going to try to have the new narrator tell the old stories and see how they change. Wish me luck -- it's an experiment for which I have high hopes.

Since the other part of my trip involved a somewhat demoralizing experience which I've had three days to revise my perspective about, it was on balance a combination of highs and lows. You could say I broke even.

5 comments:

Writer Bug said...

I'm intrigued--what do you mean, a new narrator? A new version of yourself, or another "character"?

And was the demoralizing experience giving your paper? It's funny, in your email, it sounded a lot less negative than that--like yea, you weren't thrilled with how it came out, but you didn't care all that much.

Anyway, glad you're excited about your new angle! (Wish I could say the same about my own work, but what can you do.)

TI said...

I go in and out of caring that it my presentation didn't go that well. I know it doesn't matter in any long run sense.

The narrator is, of course, a version of myself, but it's a more commanding voice than in earlier work, so I think she/I can have more perspective on the events than the old narrator, who was too involved to be a good observer. I'm not sure it's going all that well. Ugh!

Writer Bug said...

LOL. I was just thinking about how high and low the ups and downs of writing swing--one sec I'm thrilled with a piece, the process, the next I'm curse both.

TI said...

Yes, Bug, it's hilarious and makes me feel pathetic sometimes. Today is NOT a good day. Overwhelm has set in!

Repeater said...

ti, though you're overwhelmed, I love the idea you have. I'm guessing its the narrator in the boat story? It is a strong one, so I'm sure you can make it work. Let's all take a deep breath together. Sorry your presentation wasn't great, but better your writing is great than your academic paper.
Wish I could have been there with you all!