Transitions, Ink

Friday, February 02, 2007

Get Out of My Way: I Wanna Write!

Today I was so distracted from my (paid) work because I couldn't wait to get to my desk (at home) and write. I am just bursting with ideas for my new writing this month, an essay that has been percolating in an agonizing state of not-quite-shitty-first-draftedness. It's just a bunch of disconnected musings, vignettes, and scenes right now. I do have a structure and a plan, but loads of filling in to do. Anyway, I actually had to rush home as fast as I could, turn on the computer, and get it down on paper. I take that as a sign of good things to come this weekend, which is a dedicated writing weekend.

I also had an epiphany this morning on my way in to work. I started to develop a tortured relationship with my writing this month, as if it's a big chore. But in fact, I realized, it is what I most want to be doing. I am choosing to do it. I enjoy doing it. I have always wanted to make time for it. The deadline next Friday is pressing me to make time for it. How fortunate I am: I want to write and here is a great opportunity to write as much as possible over the next seven days.

And just a quick update on the early rising: 5:30 a.m. is no longer a problem. I comfortably did it 4 times this past week (Monday-Friday), and got up at 6 the one other day. I forget how many days or weeks before something becomes a new habit, but I feel myself settling into this one and I love it.

5 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

Yea! Sounds like you're making huge progress. It's funny how several of us second semester folks are struggling a little more this semester...but I bet we're also producing better work.

I've been doing the early rising thing too (not quite as early as you, but close), and it has made a huge difference.

I'm PSYCHED for your essay. Do you feel there's potential that your book might be a series of themed essays?

Keep going! :)

TI said...

Funny you should say that about the series of essays. It's possible. I had that thought yesterday actually. But my writing is kind of hybrid. I don't think it's quite what is expected from essays. I really want to study that one about Emmet Till again. That, to me, was one of the most compelling essays I've ever read.

Anonymous said...

TI and FC,
I, too, have started the earlier-rising technique. I've been getting up an hour earlier than usual and doing reading or revision before getting ready for work. It's made a huge difference. It was hard to wake my brain up earlier for a while but I'm getting used to it.

TI said...

I'm glad that getting up early seems to be working for us all. For me, it kind of programs that subconscious editor that we learned about, so that the piece continues to develop throughout the day even when I am not working on it directly.

Gili Warsett said...

I am so jealous of you. You are going for it. I feel like I keep soaring and then falling off the cliff and then getting up and soaring again and then bam, there's that darn cliff.

I agree with fc. we are working harder. i feel like my expectations for myself are so much higher and that can be motivating and at the same time stagnating.

I love that period where creative ideas are bubbling out all over the place. I'm looking forward to this first submission period ending and the second one starting so I can work on a completely new story that's been brewing. i just hope i can invest in it as much as i think i want to.