Transitions, Ink

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Snow Days!

The snow conditions this week have been perfect. Yesterday there was plenty of fresh, fluffy stuff to float through (paradise) and today the snow is more groomed, faster, and perfect of cruising. The temperature has been comfortable, hovering around -3 degrees C or so, and no wind.

My schedule was somewhat disrupted by the fresh snow yesterday morning. We drove here on a blizzard on Sunday evening, thus missing a good portion of the Oscars, which was fine because no doubt what I missed was even more tedious than what I, loyal Academy Awards watcher that I am, sat through (good knitting fare). Of course, the upside of the harrowing drive was that we knew the slopes would be fabulous the next day. I did manage to get up at 5:30 to work on my essay for about 90 minutes before heading out for the morning. In response to my advisor's good suggestions, I am completely restructuring my essay from last month. The difference in flow is opening up new, richer possibilities, but I haven't quite got a sense of particulars yet. I am simultaneously working on a second essay. This could be a mistake but we'll see. I am also, for the first time, struggling with an annotation. I usually have no problem dashing these off, but this reading was so rich (False Papers, Andre Aciman) and I loved it so much that I don't even know what to focus on. Anyway, doing the powder yesterday really wore me out so the afternoon wasn't all that productive and then the hill was calling me again. Night riding is really a lot of fun because the atmosphere is completely different. Later that evening, after a scrumptious dinner at one of my favourite restaurants, we came back to watch 6 a.m. to 7 a.m. of 24 Season Three. It had the most disturbing final scene, certainly the most shocking 24 turn of events I've ever seen (I'm way behind, which is fine with me because I simply cannot show up for anything on TV at the same time, weekly, for that many weeks in a row).

Today I woke up with a cold -- my throat was on fire -- but since it was snowing like crazy when I fell asleep last night I couldn't resist. After all, that is why we're here. Another morning of great riding. Like anything, some days you just hit that rhythm and it's magical. It's now just after lunch and I have to say, I'm worn right out. Calling it a day. Nap. Annotation. Essay. Knitting. Dinner. 24. Sleep.

3 comments:

Repeater said...

I heard a commentary on NPR yesterday by a woman who wrote about 24 for the New Yorker, I think? She said the military is having issues with the show because of the torture scenes. Soldiers watch it & then want to go practice the tactics! silly soldiers.
I worry about you way up there in all that snow- we're always having people get buried in avalanches out here. Be careful!

Writer Bug said...

Wow. Your days sound amazing! Enjoy them! And feel better.

Idiot Cook said...

I second what Bug says...sounds like a blast (even with the cold--but do feel better and don't get run down).

The Oscars were more tedious than usual, but I liked Ellen.