Transitions, Ink

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Get Ready, Get Set

I'm back from my second MFA residency, ready to start the new semester. The residency was inspiring and overwhelming at the same time. It was great to connect with my cohort again in person, and to get excited about writing by being immersed in all-things-writing for 8 days. Back to the day job tomorrow. I'm experimenting with a new schedule, which involves getting up at 5 a.m. and writing from 5-6:30 before doing anything else (including the morning pages -- they will have to wait). At 6:30, I meditate, followed by morning pages (3 longhand pages, as always), followed by yoga and a shower. I expect to be at the breakfast table by 8:15 and out of the house by 8:45. That's for Mondays and Fridays, when I want to be at work half an hour before my 9:30 commitment. I have selected Tuesdays as a dedicated MFA day (writing and reading). Wednesdays and Thursdays I can be a bit more leisurely about getting out the house, allowing me to add an extra half hour to the early morning writing session.

I'm excited about trying something different, both in the schedule and in the writing (working on an essay for the first submission). Haven't yet figured out where knitting is going to fit into the picture -- 15 minute breaks, maybe?

Fellow MFA-ers, please feel free to share how you plan to balance the day-job with the writing/reading for each submission this semester. I'd love to hear your strategies.

Ready, set....GO!

2 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

Great seeing you, TI (sorry we missed each other on your last night!)

I'm planning to post about some of this on my blog later today.

Your schedule sounds great! Get to it! :)

Repeater said...

okay- so far my plan was to meditate, then morning pages, then doing my husband's books, then yoga or jogging. Writing for me is best in the afternoon (strange, I know) and then cooking around 5pm, maybe some more writing in the evening. It's only been 2 days so far, so we'll see if I stick to it!