Transitions, Ink

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Progress Report(s)

1. The Writing Group: I am having a disappointing time of things trying to get this group going. I handed out flyers at that writing event last week, and the library is posting my notice in ten branches. I have yet to distribute copies to the local bookstores, but will do so after this week (this week is kind of spoken for, what with the Monday deadline). But only one person has responded. Now, she is very enthusiastic and seems like a good fit, but we need a critical mass of people if it's going to work. One of the comments I've heard is that people can't commit to twice a month (even the one who is interested said this). But all of the input I've had from those in writing groups seems to suggest that twice a month is the way to go. What would be even better would be to find an existing group.

2. Philosophy book manuscript: Publisher still has it and expects the reviews to come in sometime in November on the assumption that they are going to be late. Just following up made me nervous. I can enjoy the sense of accomplishment as long as the manuscript remains out of my hands.

3. Fourth Submission: Annotations are done. The revision is going slowly but I like what I've done with it so far. The main comment was that I needed to add scenes ("show, don't tell" of course). So I've added some scenes. And based on Bug's formula for how to spend your time, I've spent a lot of time re-reading the original draft, making notes in the margins, and planning what is going to be expanded into a scene. I had planned to submit something to the CBC Literary Awards but the deadline is tomorrow. It's the first year of replacing the travel writing competition with creative non-fiction, including memoir. We'll see how things are by the end of the day tomorrow. I've got a few meetings tomorrow with some time between for writing.

4. Ideas to pursue. I have had a number of ideas since that seminar I was at last week and the experience with Linda Hirshman's fee. First, I am going to look for markets where I am already an expert and so have some credibility. Today I received a nice looking magazine called Academic Matters, which is a "trade" magazine for Canadian academics writing about issues of general interest to other academics (e.g. academic freedom, which is this month's theme). It's got a circulation of 14,000 readers and it pays. So I've started keeping a file of potential markets (this is probably an obvious thing that most freelancers do, but I feel inspired by the fact that I've started one!). Second, I have been invited to speak at a "Feminism is for Everyone" themed Awareness Day. For free. But the exposure is a good thing. Third, at the publishing panel at the summer MFA residency there was an agent from an agency that specializes in non-fiction and likes to work with academics who are trying to write more accessible books. I am going to work on a package to send them indicating a couple of ideas that I have for more popular versions of some of what I work on in my research. Fourth, the people at last week's seminar mentioned using your research to produce more than one thing (again, seems obvious). So I have decided that I am going to write an essay based on what I come up with for the radio documentary. And I am going to submit it to a market that pays, even if they don't pay a lot. Fifth, I didn't know that Bug taught a course on freelance writing. I am going to pick her brain when I see her in January! Same goes for FC, who not only teaches writing but freelances for a living (or at least for a good part of her living).

9 comments:

Writer Bug said...

Wow, Ti, just reading your list made me tired (and, if I'm being honest, jealous!) You've got so much going on. I'm proud of you! And yes, we can chat away about freelance writing anytime!

Idiot Cook said...

I'm lurking and saying hello. I agree with, Bug--your list is impressive. Methinks there ain't much I'm going to be able to tell you that you don't already know...you're doing ALL the right things. The freelance stuff I'm doing is (yawn) business writing (copy for websites, radio spots, program bios, etc). I'm like you with the freelance magazine market...still really trying to crack it. I've written two articles for Writer's Digest, but I've stalled since then b/c of all the other stuff I've been working on (i.e. school). Perhaps for the new year, we can each commit to a query quota (maybe one or two a month, or something manageable). We can hold each other accountable. I'd love to break into one of the big women's magazines (I've queried and queried, but haven't had any luck). But you really are doing the right things, TI. And I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find some more folks for your writer's group--it took awhile for mine to get of the ground.

TI said...

You two are too kind. I love how impressed with each other we always are! The idea of a query quota is excellent. It will help to keep up the momentum.

Writer Bug said...

Yes! A query quota sounds awesome! Have you tried Craig's list for the writers' group? It can give you a lot of responders, though I've found many to be not that into it in the end.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with launching your writer's group and all your other ambitious plans.

I write regularly for one magazine now. Found that through a referral from a PR person I know. She had heard that the editor was looking for writers.

TI said...

That's great MBY, especially if you're writing stories that you enjoy writing.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I enjoy the stories. I always learn from them.

By the way, have you looked at the writing communities on Gather.com (http://www.gather.com/writing). Not as good as a writing group, but perhaps you'd get some sense of community.

sophie said...

you have such tremendous energy -
and the writers group will
come together - even a small
number is great;)

Repeater said...

All your talk of submission (and bug's) has got me thinking. It may be time to start sending things out....Hmmm, maybe I should finish something first.