Transitions, Ink

Friday, March 02, 2007

Four Hours!

I had a miraculously productive morning working on revisions. My packet finally arrived from my advisor yesterday. It took nearly two weeks for it to get here -- you'd think it was going halfway around the world. Thankfully, she had sent the letter by e-mail last week, which contained 8 generous pages of the most helpful comments. But getting the packet with the comments in the margins really helped. So I went at it this morning. I began a bit later than usual (I am sick with a cold, after all), about 8:30. And I'm not kidding, before I knew it it was 12:30! And I'd only checked e-mail about 3 times. I feel great about that. The writing is changing for the better, and though I am not going to have much to show in terms of the new work unless I get cracking on that tomorrow, the revision is likely to be substantial enough that I can get away with it as long as I promise new work for April.

The first annotation is done. Reading for the second one is on track, though the reverse schedule has been revised. I'm okay with shifting schedules.

I spent last night on the IS project. I have a Monday deadline for a rough structure for the radio documentary. And then on the 13th and 14th I am going to the CBC in Toronto for a couple of days to work on it. That will be thrilling. I signed and mailed the contract today. I still can't believe they're paying me. Of course, trying to come up with the narrative structure has brought out the usual, mean inner critic telling me my tape is all wrong, there is no story, I don't have enough scenes etc. I need to re-read FC's inspiring post from the other day.

R brought me a cup of tea this afternoon in response to my complaints about not being looked after the way someone with a cold should be.

3 comments:

Repeater said...

Hey ti, Congrats on both moving along so well on revisions and the cup of tea! Every little bit is a step forward. I decided to finish my packet before I left (I'm back the day it's due), so I'm torn between the relief of having it done & feeling like I didn't do enough on my revision. This is the 4th time I'll have handed this same story in. I'm sick of it!! I can't wait to hear more about your radio doc- keep telling us what is happening as you go along. Very exciting indeed. Have fun in Toronto.

Idiot Cook said...

Yea! Excellent news all around from working so diligently for four hours, to the work on your IS project, to R delivering tea!

And thanks for the plug! :)

Hope you're feeling better, too!

Writer Bug said...

Good for you! That's awesome. I aspire to get to the point where I can work that long without distraction someday... Oh, I am done with my annotations. Though I need to proof my second. Christina has me on a pretty loose reading schedule, so I just read whatever I want from the list of books we picked out. It's good becase I can read what I want and how much I want. It's bad becuase, as you know, I struggle with knowing what is "enough" so I can't let go and stop feeling like I need to be reading more. Anyhoo, can't wait to hear more about your radio trip! SO exciting!