Transitions, Ink

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Sunday Scribblings #51 Inspiration

This week, as its first anniversary approaches, Sunday Scribblings has prompted us to write about inspiration.

One of my very first blog posts was on the topic of inspiration. As far as my writing life goes, not much has changed since then. I still cannot afford to wait for inspiration. But I have discovered something else: the more I write, the more the inspiration seems to come. Regular time with the page, a gift which I have been giving myself in generous doses over the past few months, trains my creative spirit to be awake even when I am not at the page. I'm not sure if I'd call it inspiration, but lately I've been overflowing with ideas to such an extent that I just have to get them down or I'm going to explode. And I think the main reason for this abundance is that I am prepared to sit down and write no matter what my mood. I don't look for the inspired moment anymore.

There is another kind of inspiration that the prompt called to mind for me, and that is the inspiration I get from the world around me. Energetic young feminists inspire me. My friends' achievements inspire me. Stories of writers who persisted, believed in themselves and finally broke into the market inspire me. Sunsets, rainstorms, lush forests of ferns, silent snowfalls, summer breezes, and the night sky inspire me. Yoga, meditation, and that sense that nothing needs to be different inspire me. I could go on. But you get the picture. Some days, I am in awe of the universe and everything in it.

Find more inspired writing here.

4 comments:

Repeater said...

That's so beautiful, ti. Good to hear that you are flowing in the best way possible. I have been so far away from that flow, it's a good reminder that we can tap into it by regular practice. I'm excited to get back to that place.

Tammy Brierly said...

I'm happy to read about your passion for writing. It runs through your veins like fire. Congrats on the radio project...fun!

HUGS
Twin

Writer Bug said...

Very beautiful. I love your last line. Like Repeater said, I hope to get back to a place soon where I can also be inspired by the whole world. It's such a glorious place to be. What an inspiration you are!

Becca said...

I completely agree- the more you write (or paint, or make music, or photograph) the more your senses open to the inspiration that is permeates the universe.

Great post!