Transitions, Ink

Sunday, March 25, 2007

I Want Some New Yarn

I am just itching to buy some summer yarn (the picture on the left), but I have some stash from last summer that I haven't even touched, as well as an in-progress denim project (the Rowan jacket pictured on the right) that I need to pick up again soon. Birch is languishing in a state that has not moved beyond intial cast-on. The only project that I have spent any time at all on is a sweater, that might turn out to be really ugly, but it's easy enough to knit when I watch 24. It's the only thing I watch these days, and then only sometimes, and definitely only on DVD. I can't tune in regularly to anything, and in any case I'm well behind on seasons, currently in the early hours of Day Four (so far, not in the same league as Day Three, IMHO). The rule around here though is that you are not allowed to forge ahead alone with the episodes. Lest you think that I watch it uncritically, I do not. But I don't have the energy to get into it right now.

The bottom line is, there is no need to buy new yarn right now because there is no time to knit it. Not that the intention to knit is a prerequisite for a new yarn purchase, of course. There is sometimes just the luxury of a box of new yarn delivered to the house, and then the subsequent unconscious seeking that ensues as the right brain (or is it the left brain? I can never keep them straight) tries to find the perfect project for it. Truly, the process can take years.

7 comments:

Writer Bug said...

Ooh. Summer yarn. I had no idea that such a thing even existed. I may never get to the Rowan shawl, BTW....

TI said...

OMG, I know what you mean about that damn shawl. Like I said, all I have is 299 cast on stitches. I had to rip it out once and never got back to it.

madelyn said...

do you knit and sell scarves btw?

i know you don't have time -
but....

i love scarves!

TI said...

Sophie, that is very funny. Short answer: no, I don't knit and sell anything. But you're an adventurous soul and scarves are easy -- pick up some needles and some funky yarn and go for it!

Writer Bug said...

That makes me feel so much better! I was afraid I'd get to the next residency and youd have this beautiful shawl and everyone would be like, Bug, where's yours? You said you were making one. (Yes, I'm just a wee bit crazy.)

Repeater said...

I used to be the same way about buying paint. I couln't go into the art store without spending $100, and often I just went in for 1 color. It's intoxicating. Good for you for having some restraint.

Tammy Brierly said...

You write and knit...whew! I never miss 24 with my Tivo but I whish I could knit.

xxoo
Twin